404 on Blog Page when Not Logged In

open (4 posts) (2 voices)

1. ddmcleod

I'm using Elegance 2.7 on one of my websites. I initially had the site set up with the default WordPress Settings (i.e. Front Page Displays Latest Posts). Then I used Elegance to create my home page the way I wanted it. I also created my own header.php file in my child theme to modify the appearance of the home page.

I had created a lot of pages and everything was working fine. Then I decided to start adding in blog posts, so I created a blank page called Blog to serve as a place holder and I stored that page in the "Blog" section of the Elegance Settings. Everything works fine, I even have a menu link to the Blog page and that works fine too.

The problem is this: if I log out of the computer, all my links work correctly except my Blog link. I get a 404 page! For some reason, when I'm not logged in, the system can not find the Blog page even though it is there and it is published (as are several of my blog posts).

I tried changing the WordPress settings to specific static pages for Blog and Post, but that interferes with Elegance's rendering of the pages and things look a mess. Reverting the settings back gets me to the way things should be but still no joy accessing the Blog page when I'm not logged in.

I am not using any caching plugins, and I've tried clearing my browser cache multiple times. In any event, I'm pretty clear that's not the problem, because all my pages are changing when I change settings or when I login/logout.

If you can help me with this problem, I'd sure appreciate it. My visitors should certainly not have to log in in order to see my blog.

Thanks in advance,

David

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. ddmcleod

HELP!

Is there anyone on the MySiteMyWay staff who can help me fix this problem?

Thanks,

David

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. omg

Hi David
    I think MSMY staff up and left. They are no longer responding. Can anyone else help David w/ his question, I am uncertain on how to help on this topic.

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. ddmcleod

Thanks OMG!

I actually figured out the problem. I think it is a bug in MySiteMyWay. If you have less than two published posts, then you will get this error on a blog page. I found this out after I created a second post that did not have private or draft status.

I think that having a single post in the database should still take you to the Blog page, and the MSMW code should be modified to allow for this condition. However, it really is a minor problem because, after all, how many people are only going to have one post in their database? Almost everyone will have a second post within a relatively short time of creating the blog in the first place.

But yes, I don't know what is going on with MSMW either...!

David

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Construct WordPress Theme
Construct wordpress theme
Myriad WordPress Theme
Myriad wordpress theme
Method WordPress Theme
Method wordpress theme
Fusion WordPress Theme
Fusion wordpress theme
Elegance WordPress Theme